Friday, June 09, 2006

Jesus Talk

Transcript, Christian Working Woman

Friday, June 9, 2006

I want to challenge you to start talking about Jesus more and more. I'm not referring to what we often think of as witnessing to people, pinning them down and asking them if they're a Christian. There are times we may need to do that, but those are usually rare. I'm just trying to get us to focus on making Jesus a topic of conversation, frequently and naturally, as a logical outgrowth of our relationship with Him.

Why should we talk about Him? Because He is the only hope for this world. He alone offers life and peace and has the ability to fulfill His offer. He is the only one who can free people from sin and guilt and their past. He holds the keys of death and hell, and only He can offer eternal life.

In order to talk about Him more and naturally, we need to get to know Him better, as I mentioned earlier. There is only one way to get to know Him better, and that is to read the Bible, particularly the Gospels, regularly and at length. And as you read, study Jesus Christ. Ask yourself, "Why did He say that?" "Why did He do that?" "What does He mean?" Put yourself in the scene. Pretend you're one of the disciples and you're hearing it for the first time–live! Let the gospels bring Jesus Christ alive to you.

Start a journal and write down what you think and feel as you read about Him. My journals are packed with new insights into Jesus. I remember the day when the story of the transfiguration in Matthew 17 came alive to me in a new way. I got so excited as I saw things about Jesus I had never seen before. And watching how Peter reacted to that scene, I could see myself and understand myself better. That story has never been the same to me. I've told lots of people about it, because it was a natural thing to talk about. After all, that was what I was thinking about so that was what I talked about.

We must always work at staying in first love with Jesus. You remember the condemnation given in Revelation 2 to the church in Ephesus. They did a lot of things right, but one thing was seriously wrong: They had left their first love for Jesus. If we will focus on knowing Jesus, we'll keep first love alive, because you can't get to know Him and not get excited about Him. And if you're excited about Him, you're sure to talk about Him.

I would challenge you as I do myself today: Let's talk about Jesus. Learn about Him, fall in love with Him all over again, delight yourself in Him. And then share Him with others. Don't let this world shove you into its mold and intimidate you and keep you from talking about Jesus. Ask God to give you openings and a natural way to just talk about Jesus. It will make a big difference in your own life, and who knows what seeds you will be sowing in the lives of others.

No comments: