Wednesday, June 28, 2006

His or Ours?

Elizabeth Elliot Devotional


The property on the sea is now ours. We can
hardly believe it.

"But it was what you had dreamed of, wasn't it?"

"Yes, Lord."

"Did I not promise long ago to give you the
desires of your heart? This is one of them. Often
I cannot give them in the form you dream of
because it would not, in the end, give you
happiness. This time I give exactly what you
asked. What will you do with it now?"

"First we thank you, Lord. Then we offer it back
to You. Do with it, for us, for anyone who comes
here, as You choose. Make it a place of peace, a
desired haven."

"I receive your offering. Whose is it now?"

"Yours, Lord. Help me to remember this as King
David remembered it when he prayed, 'Everything
comes from thee, and it is only of thy gifts that
we give to thee. We are aliens before thee and
settlers . . . everything is thine'" (1 Chr
29:14,15,16 NEB).

No comments: