Thursday, April 13, 2006

Detours

Elizabeth Elliott

When Pharaoh let the people go, "God did not
guide them by the road towards the Philistines,
though that way was the shortest.... God made
them go round by way of the wilderness towards
the Red Sea" (Ex 13: 17, 18 NEB).

The direct route would save time as well as wear
and tear on the people, but God had something
infinitely more important than economics in
mind--He wanted the people to be able to sing the
song of praise of chapter 15--"The Lord is my
refuge and my defence...my deliverer. He is my
God and I will glorify Him; He is my father's God
and I will exalt Him" (Ex 15:2 NEB). They sang
this song because they had firsthand experience
of God's power and deliverance. Pursued by all
the chariots and horses, cavalry and infantry of
Egypt, they had passed through the Red Sea in
safety and seen the enemy drowned. They would
have missed this glorious lesson if they had
taken the short road.

When we are puzzled by delays and detours, let us
think about the great purpose of life: to glorify
God. The lessons He wants to teach us "in the
wilderness" are priceless means of providing us
with a song we could not otherwise have sung: "In
Thy constant love Thou hast led the people!" (Ex
15:13).

No comments: