Thursday, March 23, 2006

Prayer: Not a Formula or Technique

Larry Crabb, The PAPA Prayer

"But I believe I've sovereignly stumbled on a fresh way to think about prayer that has led me to a new way of praying. It's not a formula or technique. There are no techniques in good conversation with God. There are no means to manipulate Him, no ways to persuade him to do things our way. He's not open to input on how best to run my life.

What I want to share with you is rather a way to relate to God that lets us hear Him speak. It's not just a way to wait for Him or to listen to Him or to focus on Him. All those are included, but what I want to share with you is a way of coming to God that delights Him and changes us. It's a way to pray that brings us into union with Him, so that it is no longer we who live but Christ who lives through us. It's a way to know God so well that the deepest desire of His heart actually becomes the deepest desire of ours, and that frees us to ask God for what we really want with confidence that He'll move heaven and earth to grant our request, because what we want now matches what He wants."

p. 9

No comments: