Thursday, March 16, 2006

The Grace of God Promotes Praise

But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body.



But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

2 Corinthians 4: 7, 10; 12: 9


"Twice in 2 Corinthians 4 and once in 2 Corinthians 12, Paul uses the little word "that", which introduces a purpose clause. "That" means there are three purpose clauses in the three statements introduced by "that" in these passages. These three purposes reveal why God doesn't take all our troubles away. Here they are:

1. So that the power may be of God and not of us (2 Corinthians 4: 7). God doesn't take all our troubles away, so we recognize who really has the power in life to see us through.

2. So that the life of Jesus may be manifested in our mortal flesh (2 Corinthians 4: 10). For the same reason that God was incarnate in Jesus, God allows us to go through trouble so the glory of Jesus can shine through us and the world can see Him. Like lights hidden under clay pots, God cracks and breaks the clay pots so the light of Jesus can be revealed.

3. So that the power of Christ may rest upon us (2 Corinthians 12: 9). If we were never weak, there would be no need for the power of Christ to be near our life. But because we go through times of great weakness, the power of Christ can come upon us to save us.

In all three of these purpose statements, here's the obvious point: It's all about Jesus Christ, not us. Life is not about my problems or difficulties, it's about Jesus' ability to walk through them with me and give me grace to endure while I watch Him give me power to overcome - power I never would have realized without going through the difficult time. And the ultimate purpose and result of it all is that He might receive praise through my lips and my life."


David Jeremiah, The Confusing Paradox of Grace, Captured by Grace, p. 87.

No comments: