Friday, July 21, 2006

The Work of Spirituality

God is doing what is best for us, training us to live God's holy best.
Hebrews 12:10, The Message

"The work of spirituality is to recognize where we are -- the particular circumstances of our lives -- to recognize grace and say, "Do you suppose God wants to be with me in a way that does not involve changing my spouse or getting rid of my spouse or my kids, but in changing me, and doing something in my life that maybe I could never experience without this pain and suffering?"

Sometimes I think all I do as a pastor is speak the word "God" in a situation in which it hasn't been said before, where people haven't recognized his presence."

The Contemplative Pastor


The Work of Spirituality, God's Message for Each Day by Eugene Peterson.

No comments: