Monday, July 10, 2006

My Refuge

O Lord my God, in thee do I take refuge.
Psalm 7:1, RSV


"In David's prayers refuge refers to a good experience, but what got him to refuge was a bad experience. He started out running for his life; and at some point he found the life he was running for, and the name for that life was God. "God is my refuge."

This happens all the time. It's one of the fundamental surprises in spirituality. Whatever we start out feeling or doing or thinking can lead us to God, whether directly or meanderingly. ... We rarely start with God. We start with the immediate data of our lives -- a messy house, a balky car, a cranky spouse, a recalcitrant child. ... We start out being desperate in the wilderness of En-gedi, and before we know it we're ecstatic in the wilderness of God."

Where Your Treasure Is


My Refuge, God's Message for Each Day by Eugene Peterson.

No comments: