Friday, July 21, 2006

My Own Fault

Elizabeth Elliot Devotional

Someone who is suffering as a result of his own
foolishness or failure may read these words.
These griefs are hard indeed to bear, for we feel
we might easily have avoided them. We have no one
to blame but ourselves, and there isn't much
consolation there. Sometimes we imagine that we
must bear this kind of trouble alone, but that is
a mistake. The Lamb of God, slain for us, has
borne all of our griefs and carried all of our
sorrows, no matter what their origin. All grief
and sorrow is the result of sin somewhere along
the line, but Christ received them willingly. It
is nothing but pride that keeps me from asking
Him to help me to bear the troubles which are my
own fault.

Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world,
take away mine.
I take Him at His word indeed,
Christ died for sinners--this I read--
And in my heart I find a need
Of Him to be my Savior.
(Dora Greenwell)

No comments: