Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Reconnaissance

Mark Batterson post:  Inattentional Blindness

One of the greatest dangers leaders face is inattentional blindness. Simply put: we become blind to our environment. We stop noticing things.  The end result? We maintain the status quo.  That’s why reconnaissance is so important. That’s why I love visiting other churches!  It helps me see NCC in fresh ways and it gives me new ideas.

Yesterday I visited Area 10 Faith Community that meets in the historic Byrd Theatre in Richmond, VA.  I wanted to do recon at the Byrd because we’re restoring a historic theater on Capitol Hill, but I walked away with so much more.  So great to meet Pastor Chris Barras and his wife, Abby.

Love their coffeehouse concept called Cartwheels & Coffee.  Found out that a former NCCer helped them name it.  Love it.  It’s a combination coffeehouse with play space for kids. I think it’s the future of coffeehouses. It’s all about combinations isn’t it?  A great example is Barnes & Noble combining bookstore with cafe.  When we build out our new property on Virginia Avenue, we’ll incorporate an indoor play space for kids and families.

I have to say that I love God’s kingdom!  So cool to see one corner of His kingdom in Richmond this weekend.

No comments: