Thursday, July 21, 2011

One Church

Mark Batterson post:  The Curse of Territorialism

I think territorialism is one of the greatest curses on the church.  There should be no turf wars in the Kingdom of God.  Why does it happen?  To put it bluntly: insecurity. It’s the Saul Complex. David was his greatest asset, but Saul perceived him as his greatest threat.  Why? He kept a “jealous eye” on him.   

Any pastor who is threatened by a neighboring pastor is building his own kingdom, not God’s kingdom.

Let me be the first to say: I’m guilty.  A few years ago, the Lord convicted me big time.  I remember writing a confession in my prayer journal: it’s easier for me to pray for a church that is four states away than a church that is four blocks away.  By the grace of God, that is changing.

I honestly think the key is relationship.  Last week I met with an Episcopal priest who pastors on Capitol Hill.  We had a meeting with a handful of local pastors dreaming about a corporate prayer gathering a few days ago.  Today I’m having lunch with Amos Dodge who pastors Capital Church–the church that hosts the Easter Sunrise Service every year at the Lincoln Memorial. The more I get to know these neighboring pastors and churches, the more I love them.

One of the lessons I learned from my Father-in-Law, Bob Schmidgall, is that a humble and genuine effort to embrace and celebrate other neighboring churches dissolves territorialism.  It can’t be superficial. Calvary Church prayed for other churches every week and I believe it’s one reason why God blessed them. But God wanted bless sibling rivalry.

I can only imagine how God could impact a city if the Christ-centered, Bible-believing, Spirit-led churches actually joined hearts and joined hands.  I’m praying for revival in DC, but certainly not just at NCC.  If it starts in another church, praise God.  Let it spread to us!

We all have different church  names, but there is only one Church in DC.

No comments: