Monday, July 18, 2011

Just Because

Scotty Smith:  A Prayer for Worshiping God Just Because He’s God

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to him, “King Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from Your Majesty’s hand. But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.” Dan. 3:16–18
Heavenly Father, I’m intrigued, convicted, and encouraged by the faith of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. How refreshing it is to behold non-utilitarian non-pragmatic Other-centered worship. These three friends loved and adored you not because of the gifts you gave but because of the God that you are. They were firmly convinced that you could rescue them from the fiery furnace, but even if you didn’t rescue them, it would have no effect on their worship of you. They would rather be delivered into your presence through the fire than worship some other false god just to escape the fire.

Father, forgive me when my worship of you varies in response to my perceptions of how well you care for me. As cynical as I am about the “name it and claim it” and prosperity theologies, I’m quite capable of doubting your love when life gets complicated and painful. Forgive me for ever score-carding you. Forgive me for being more passionate in my worship when things are going well, and less engaged when they’re not. I want to worship you before there’s a fire, when I’m in the fire, when the fire’s extinguished, or if the flames get even higher and hotter.

Lord Jesus, only you can change and free my heart to love and serve God like this—like Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego did. Only the truth, grace and power of the gospel are sufficient for the task. You were the fourth man in the fiery furnace with them. More importantly, you were the one who endured the fiery trial of the cross for us that we might forever live in the presence and favor of God. You will never leave or forsake us, at any time or in any trial.

Because of you, Jesus, we don’t have to be afraid to die, and we don’t have to be afraid to live, hurt and wait. May your beauty and grace be so compelling that at the very moment we’re tempted to turn to some other god for temporal deliverance or instant relief, we won’t. So very Amen we pray, in your peerless and powerful name.

No comments: