Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Unbridled Adoration

Scotty Smith: A Prayer about the Only Love Better Than Life

     Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands. I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you. Ps. 63:3–5

     Dear Jesus, King David’s words of unbridled adoration are a rebuke to my measured heart. I spend a lot of time and energy trying to make a “better” life for myself, and yet David speaks of your love as being better than life itself! What a holy paradox, magnificent mystery, and glorious craving. Oh, to know your love in such a sensate, soul-satisfying way.
     Jesus, what would it be like to be so alive to the width, length, height, and depth of your love that I lose control? David danced with shameless nakedness before the returned ark of the covenant. Why can’t I be as free before the finished cross of glory? Free me from my inhibitions. Take the restrictor plates off my joy. Remove the governor on my affections.
     I have no trouble singing to you or lifting my hands in the assembly of your people. But I want to be so smitten with your love I’ll love well in contexts not so safe and predictable. I want your love to be so compelling that I don’t think of “witnessing” to people, just loving and serving them. I want your love to be so satisfying that I’ll live much more transparently and authentically before others. I want a heart so at home in your embrace that your fame, not my shame, will be the driving force in everything I do.
     I want your love to bring forth hot tears of compassion and loud guffaws of joy. I want your love to free me for loving my spouse and children without reservation and with great spontaneity. I want to be a fearless engaged friend—one who offers others a fresh taste of how you love us in every season of life. I want your kindness to override my prejudice; your patience to supplant my pettiness; your forbearance to trump my grumpiness. You’ve set me free for eternity. Jesus, please set me free for today. I pray with great anticipation, in your loving name. Amen.
 

No comments: