Thursday, May 19, 2011

Faithful

Ray Ortlund post:  Covered


Six months ago I abruptly transitioned out of the work I had been doing for the past nine years.  While it was very clear to me that God had closed the door, it still left me feeling very vulnerable.  Now unemployed, and soon to bring our second child into the world, I was very in touch with a deep sense of neediness that I knew I couldn’t fix on my own.

As I came before the Lord in this vulnerable posture, a picture came to my heart:  it was of a child lying down at night, trying to pull a blanket up over herself to be covered, but the blanket was too small; it didn’t fit her anymore.  She couldn’t cover herself.  Then, in the midst of her struggle, a blanket was lowered down upon her from above.  This blanket was sufficient for the job.  It was large and warm, and it covered the child’s exposed body.  I took comfort in this image.  It helped me better trust that in this new place of vulnerability, God himself would cover me.  He would provide.  And He has.  In the midst of what has been a very difficult year, He has covered me, primarily through the body of Christ, and also through an unexpected recent job.

Just as Moses struck the rock in the desert and the Israelites drank (Numbers 20), that rock was Christ (1 Corinthians 10:4), and He who is the same yesterday, today and forever (Hebrews 13:8) is our rock, able and willing to provide for our needs.

“The Lord is faithful to all his promises and loving toward all he has made.  The Lord upholds all those who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down.  The eyes of all look to you, and you give them their food at the proper time.  You open your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing.”  Psalm 145:13b-16

Guest post by Krista Ortlund Scheidt

No comments: