Monday, February 26, 2007

Our Agenda

Christian Working Woman Transcript

Monday, February 26, 2007 - Zero Budgeting

In business and in government we hear the term "zero-budgeting." Zero-budgeting identifies a fiscal policy which starts the budgeting process each year at zero. Everything that is included in the budget is up for scrutiny and reconsideration, and each budget item must be justified for merit.

As an example, just because you had money in the budget last year for travel, doesn't mean you'll have money in the budget this year for travel. You have to show the need for that budget money before it will be approved.

I am wondering if we don't need to do some zero-budgeting with the Lord from time to time. Wouldn't it be good for us to sit down with the Lord with a clean piece of paper, no pre-planned agenda, no assumptions, and see what goes and what stays in His plans for us?

Jesus was able to say at the end of His ministry, "I have finished the work you gave me to do." That's because His agenda was always the Father's agenda. Time and again He said "I do what the Father tells me to do."

For us to be able to finish the work God has for us to do, we need some zero-budgeting techniques. Are you willing to start at point zero and say, "Lord, what would you have me to do?" without any reservations or hidden agenda on your part?

This zero-budgeting process would cause us to ask some penetrating questions, such as:

  • What have I said I would never do? Is that my agenda or God's?
  • What are my sacred stones–the things I keep saying "Hands off–don't touch this, God"?
  • What assumptions have I been making about what God wants me to do or not to do? Are those assumptions from God or from my human logic?
Zero-budgeting may lead us to some radical changes, or it may confirm for us that we're to stay where we are, doing what we're doing. But once we go through that zero-budgeting process, where we give God permission to set the agenda, then we have tremendous peace and freedom and we can say with Jesus, "I am doing what you gave me to do, Father."

No comments: