Monday, September 12, 2011

Humble Mindset

Excerpt from John Piper:  I and the Father Are One

[John 10:22-42]
...


They are just about to seize him (verse 39), but he gives one more plea. And if there was still a chance for them, there is a chance for you. He says in verses 37–38:
“If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me; but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand [it’s the same word for know and understand, only a different in past tense and present tense: “that you may know and go on to know more fully”] that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.” Again they sought to arrest him, but he escaped from their hands.
This strikes me as amazingly merciful. I hope you hear it that way for yourself. If you can’t see your way clear to grasp my words and my person, then at least grasp what you can make of my deeds.

Why? Because that bit of knowing might turn into a fuller knowing and understanding of who he is.

This was Jesus’ last offer. And they came at him to seize him.

And you would think that the story is over. And it ends with opposition and unbelief. John could have stopped here and turned to the story of Lazarus in chapter 11. But he didn’t. For some reason, he gave another snapshot of Jesus across the Jordan to the northeast where many believed on him.


The Jerusalem story ends with anger and unbelief and murderous plans. But across the Jordan they believed. Is there a key here? Is John giving us a clue to what it is that opens the door of faith? Here’s what he says in verses 40–42:
He went away again across the Jordan to the place where John had been baptizing at first, and there he remained. And many came to him. And they said, “John did no sign, but everything that John said about this man was true.” And many believed in him there.
Here’s what I think John is doing. He is showing us the key to faith—the kind of soil in which faith springs up and grows. He says that this place was where John the Baptist had preached and baptized.

In other words, where John’s message was embraced and respected faith in Jesus flourished. And what did he say about John’s ministry? What did the Gospel writer focus on? He reported what the people said (verse 41): “John did no sign, but everything that John said about this man was true.”

In other words, John’s ministry was utterly unpretentious. He was not after fame. He threw the spotlight utterly on Jesus. And wherever that mindset is admired and embraced, faith in Jesus flourishes. It didn’t flourish in Jerusalem. They rejected John and his message (Matthew 21:23–27).
But where John’s humble, self-effacing mindset was embraced people recognized Jesus. They heard his voice. They were his sheep.

Let me close with the words of John the Baptist. And as I read them, pray that you would love this humble mindset. That it would be yours. And that your heart would be the good soil where faith in Jesus springs up and keeps on growing.
“I am not the Christ, but I have been sent before him. The one who has the bride is the bridegroom. The friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly at the bridegroom’s voice. Therefore this joy of mine is now complete. He must increase, but I must decrease.” (John 3:28–30)

No comments: