Monday, September 12, 2011

A Chief Virtue

Mark Batterson post:  The Law of Favor


I love Peter 5:5-6: God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble. That single verse, I call it the law of favor, is at the core of my spiritual operating system.

God can’t bless pride.  God won’t bless pride.  But if we cultivate a posture of humility, there you can’t stop God from blessing, from favoring, from gracing.  All I know is this: I don’t want God opposing me!  So my only option is to cultivate a spirit of humility.

I’m more and more convinced that humility is a chief virtue.  When you operate with a prideful spirit you’ll experience resistance, but if you operate with a spirit of humility the world will come to your aid.  And more importantly, the Almighty will come to your aid. The Spirit of pride never winsThe spirit of humility is undefeated. You can’t lose if you operate out of a humble heart.  Will you be be taken advantage of on occasion? Sure.  But God will honor you.  Will you have to eat some humble pie along the way?  Absolutely!  But the net result with be the favor of God.

No comments: