Monday, August 29, 2011

Inspired, Challenged and Disturbed

Excerpt from Ed Stetzer post:  Review of "The Help." It's Worth Seeing... and Discussing

On a recent date with Donna, I saw, and was moved by, the new movie The Help. Based on Kathryn Stockett's best selling book of the same name, the movie, starring Emma Stone, Viola Davis and Bryce Dallas Howard, genuinely inspired, challenged, and even disturbed me.

...


Most days, I live in a world where courtesy is considered, by some, more important than courage. Ultimately, such a view fails to work. To use Aibileen's words, "Loving our enemies can be hard, but it starts by telling the truth." This movie told the truth in a powerful way and impacted me emotionally. I was inspired be courageous, angered at injustice, and determined to write something about the religious aspect in the movie, something you can read in an upcoming post.

Finally, the movie has its share of profanity and I am particularly bothered by uses of God's name in vain, but I will show my children the movie when the edited version comes out and talk about issues of race, gender, and cultural religion. It will be worth your time to do the same.

As I said, the movie moved me (as a good movie can)-- but it also angered me. I tweeted from the movie, "The Help's mix of elitism, judgment, & scorn (wrapped in cultural religion) is STILL real & even taught as discipleship in some places." More on that in a few days...

No comments: