Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Every Day

Scotty Smith:  A Prayer about the Boss of My Heart

Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Colossians 3:15
 
Gracious Jesus, every day somebody or some entity is going to claim “dibs” on the attention, allegiance and affection of our hearts. Our hearts are constantly being wooed, swayed and ruled; something will be the functional “boss of me” today.

It could be bitterness, pettiness or cowardice. It could be anger about the collapse of Wall Street and the diminishing value of investments. It could be the shaming power of darkness or fear of encroaching aloneness. It could be overbearing or aggravating people. It could be lust to have a little more success or an obsession to have a lot less heartache. It could old regrets or new fantasies. It could be the titillation of a new romance or the approval of a dead parent.

Therefore, Jesus, by faith and in obedience to this great Scripture, I choose your peace as the ruler of my heart; as my centering power for this one day; as my sovereign, king, and boss. With palms up, I surrender gladly. Grant me fresh grace, gospel sanity and transcendent peace.

No one knows peace better than you, for you are the Prince of Peace. On the cross you secured God’s peace with us and our peace with God. The enmity and hostility between us have been obliterated forever. Peace with God is now our legal right—a done deal, a settled issue. How can we not overflow with gratitude and humility?

Jesus, please make this legal right a personal delight today—a transforming power mightily at work in my heart, and in all my relationships. You’re writing a much better story than simply a tale of calming my restlessness. Yours is a story of healing and reconciling love. You humble stubborn people. You soften hard people. You free stuck people. You gentle angry people. You turn enemies into friends and strangers into family.

Because you’ve forgiven me, I will choose to forgive others today. Because you’ve forgiven me, I will choose to ask forgiveness from others. Because you’ve at peace with me, I will do everything in my power to make and live at peace with others. And where peace is not possible yet, I will rest in your love and wait on your timing. So very Amen I pray, in your praise-worthy and persistent name.

No comments: