Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Heart Centered

Christine Wyrtzen Devotional

MISSING THE POINT

But if you call yourself a Jew and rely on the law and boast in God and know his will and approve what is excellent, because you are instructed from the law; and if you are sure that you yourself are a guide to the blind, a light to those who are darkness, an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of children, having in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth ~ you then who teach others, do you not teach yourself?  While you preach against stealing, do you steal?  You who say that one must not commit adultery, do you commit adultery?  You who abhor idols, do you rob temples?  You who boast in the law dishonor God by breaking the law.  The name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.

            I tell others that I follow Jesus.  I decline the invitation to do things that I know He wouldn't do.  I engage in things others think foolish because Jesus would do them.  Is God honored by my convictions?  I can fool myself into thinking so if I am oblivious to the difference between external behavior and internal faith.  The first without the latter begets spiritual arrogance.

            The Jews were proud of their heritage and boasted in the fact that the Law was given to them through Moses.  Many of them were teachers of the truth God had entrusted.  But, just as we are, they were guilty of every point.  There are many ways to steal, even with the heart.  There are ways to commit adultery, even with the heart.  There are ways to worship idols, even with the heart.  Though people around us can't read our thoughts and see the individual sins, they can pick up self-exaltation and whether we convey that we are above breaking the law.  The theme of my life must be the Gospel and my need for the cross.

  • Every day, I break God's law.
  • Every day, because of Jesus sacrifice, I am forgiven.
  • Every day, I realize I do not have the ability to keep from sinning.
  • Every day, I pray for daily bread so that the Spirit can bring heart change.
  • Recognition of my dependence on God serves humility and smashes pride.

     When others are repelled by my good behavior because it feels hollow, seems arrogant, and is void of love, it is time to ask myself if God's name is being blasphemed among unbelievers.  I can discredit what I think I am promoting. The very things I teach, I need to continue to learn.

Wake me up if my life is a walking contradiction!  Keep me heart centered, Lord.  Amen

No comments: