Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Way of Wisdom

Christine Wyrtzen Devotional:

THE FOUNDATION OF A FOOL

For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened.  Romans 1:21

            A fool, in scripture, is described as one who denies the existence of God.  "A fool hath said in his heart there is no God."  Void of the ability to know and speak truth, he sets out to become a philosopher; one who reasons things out in a way that makes sense to him.  But according to Truth, defined by an all-knowing God, it makes no sense at all.  According to James Boice, he has simply 'rearranged error.'  Now, that is futility.
            I can so easily act like a fool when I take the matters of my life into my own hands and figure out solutions by myself.  Even though I may have pretty good common sense and average problem solving skills, my strategies are foolish.  Given enough time, I will discover that I have traveled in circles or taken a wrong path, even though the path seemed so right at the time I made the choices.  Only God knows everything.  Like Adam and Eve, I am to live by revelation in relationship, not assuming I can eat of the tree of good and evil and figure things out on my own.
            Honoring God means that I seek His wisdom about every single issue in my life.  I start with the scriptures and see if they address, in specifics, the scenario I'm facing.  Sometimes it will, other times it won't.  At that point, I seek God in prayer, wait for Him to lead me to the answers.  It may be scriptural principles that I can apply to my situation.  I may never before have considered them in that context but the Spirit of God, ever my teacher, customized them for me to fashion a strategy.
            My point is this.  I don't have to be an unbeliever to dishonor God and have darkened thinking.  Going off lone-ranger on any issue facing me is to disrespect and dishonor God.  I should live asking, "What should I do about this?  What is your plan for me?"  Then, I dig in to find the answers in meditation and prayer.  This is the way of wisdom; the way of the prosperous man and woman.  Believe me, I've learned this the hard way.

I honor You with my dependence. Lead me as Your little child; kindly, deliberately, and with concepts You help me understand.  Amen

No comments: