Wednesday, April 07, 2010

What Would Your Heart Long to Do?

Ray Ortlund post:  As if there were no tomorrow


“I never really knew Stevie Ray Vaughn well.  We played together only a couple of times, but it was enough to be able to link him with Jimi Hendrix in terms of commitment.  They both played out of their skin, every time they picked up their instruments, as if there were no tomorrow, and the level of devotion they both showed to their art was identical.  Listening to Stevie on the night of his last performance here on earth was almost more than I could stand and made me feel like there was nothing left to say.  He had said it all.”

Eric Clapton, Clapton: The Autobiography (New York, 2007), page 325.

When planning a worship service for Immanuel Church, one of the questions I often ask myself and our music leader is, “If this were your last opportunity ever to lead people in worship, what would your heart long to do?”  After all, it might be.  And even if we have another chance next Sunday, I never want to hold back.  So much is at stake every time.

No comments: