Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Over All Other Voices

Christine Wyrtzen Devotional: THE LOGICAL CHOICE

You have appointed your testimonies in righteousness and in all faithfulness.  Psalm 119:138

I often read a portion of the Word and think, "Ok, this is sure out there.  I guess I'll stretch my faith and choose to believe it anyway."  (Like it was some heroic act.)  I'm pulled up short this morning.  It should be easy to believe God.  He is a truth teller.  He is holy.  His love is faithful.  Knowing this, why would the choice be difficult.

I consider the alternatives.  Will I choose to believe human beings over God?  They are imperfect spokesmen.  Each has a skewed perspective, twisted by sin.  If any speaks accurately, it is rare.  Most often, men's words are toxic but only God knows to what degree.  I don't.  To stand on their words above God's Word is not logical when stacked up against the evidence of man's character vs. God's character.

The other alternative is to choose to believe the enemy.  He shoots arrows of thoughts my way and I often can't tell the difference between his words and my own thoughts.  They sound the same in my head and always seem to fit how I process information and feelings.  He's sly and intuitive and knows how to customize a lie.  Even though it feels natural to me, do I prefer the words of a liar over God?  Most of my life, the answer has been 'yes'.

If I needed a witness to vouch for me in court, whom would I choose?  One person is upstanding in the community and is known to be a person of integrity.  The second is a shady character, a person famous for double talk.  The choice seems obvious.  So is the choice to believe God over all other voices today.  When there are conflicting stories, Word against man, I choose the divine Word.

Your Word is my truth, my only reality, Lord. Amen

No comments: