Monday, April 26, 2010

Praying Through

Mark Batterson post:  Jericho March

"You shall march around the city seven times." Joshua 6:4

I believe in Jericho marches. I'm not talking about some magic trick that if you walk around something seven times God will give it to you, but I often pray around things seven times. I just love circling things in prayer. And if there is a "promise land" that you believe God wants to give you, it can't hurt to follow the example in Joshua.

When NCC was 25 people, I remember doing a Jericho march around all of Capitol Hill. It was a way for me to lay claim to the place God had called me to. I did many a Jericho march around Union Station. I did Jericho marches around 201 F Street, NE which is now Ebenezers coffeehouse. And I'm doing Jericho marches around a piece of property we're praying for right now.

Sometimes the way you lay claim to promises is by circling them in prayer. Seven isn't a magic number, but it helps me prayer through. I think there is a difference between praying for and praying through. Praying through something means circling it in prayer

No comments: