Friday, March 13, 2009

What I Need

Christine Wyrtzen Devotional

JESUS CHANGES THE SUBJECT

Jesus answered, "Very truly, I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God without being born from above." John 3:3

Nicodemus came for a private teaching instruction from Jesus. Instead of getting that, Jesus changed the topic entirely. I can imagine Nicodemus was greatly confused. He was one of the most brilliant of the Jewish religious leaders, schooled his entire life in the scriptures, yet here was Jesus speaking of things for which he had no knowledge or experience, something as elementary as being born into the kingdom.

What I perceive as my greatest spiritual need can be way off base. Though I think I know myself, I never see myself as God sees me. I think I need one thing; God would say that I need another.

Some years ago, I was aware that I was losing the edge of my singing voice. I prayed diligently for some years for God to heal it. He didn't. I was asking for one thing but God needed to address another, a subject related to my voice though at the time I didn't know it. He was not concerned, necessarily, about my singing as He was about my voice in general. My bold voice was veiled under a layer of fear of perception. My clear message was hidden beneath a confusion due to issues in my flesh. God's agenda has been all about healing those so that my voice, whether speaking or singing, strengthens.

Ah yes, asking for clarification on one thing but God addressing another has certainly been my experience. Perhaps you are there today. Your frustration with God is high. You might even assume that He's not listening to you when you ask for what you think you need. He most surely is. He is the great Physician of the soul and though he cares about our desires, His desire for our greatest good overrides our limited view of ourselves.

Jesus, I trust You to give me what I need. In Your name I pray, Amen


Christine Wyrtzen
Daughters of Promise

No comments: