Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Seeking God's Kingdom

Christian Working Woman Transcript

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - The Superwoman Complex

Some years ago a major news magazine ran a cover feature that said, Women Face the Future: They Tried to Have It All. Now They've Just Plain Had It. One of the misconceptions resulting from the Superwoman Complex is that we can have it all.

But my message to you is that you can't have it all. You can have a lot, your life can be full and meaningful, but you can't have it all, at least not all at the same time! As Maxine Hancock puts it: "The bad news is nobody can have it all at once. The good news is that you can have a lot of what really matters to you."

You and I must continually make choices between the many options and opportunities that are presented to us, and we have more of those today than ever before. We have to be very good at setting our priorities and sticking to them. And as Christians, our priorities are governed by God's eternal principles.

Our Lord said, Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well (Matthew 6:33). All what things? All of what you need to have a good and full life. Not everything you think you need; not everything you want. But all you need will be added provided you first seek God's kingdom and His righteousness. That's how you can have all that matters.

Have you relinquished the controls of your life to the Lord lately? Quite frequently I repeat this prayer: "Lord, I give you permission to control my life. I acknowledge your right to change my plans, to re-direct my path, to give me new marching orders. Here's a blank piece of paper; I ask you to dictate my to-do list."

You see, it's real easy for us to show God our plans and ask Him to bless them. "Dear Lord, here's what I plan to do; here's what I want to be; here's how I want to do it. Please come along with me and help me and bless me." Oh, we may not use words quite so obvious, but far too often that is our attitude. Seeking God's kingdom means giving Him a blank piece of paper and asking Him to write the program for us.

I would encourage you to make sure you keep going back to that basic commitment–giving the controls to the Lord. That is the beginning of the cure for the Superwoman Complex, and the way to truly gain control of your tendency to want it all at one time.

No comments: