Wednesday, June 27, 2007

"scurvy elephant"

"... there was a division among the people because of him. " John 7 : 43

Motivational speaker Wayne Dyer tells this story:

I came home from school one day and asked my mom, "What's a scurvy elephant?" She told me she'd never heard of one, and asked where I had heard it. I replied, "From my teacher." When my mother called the teacher, he told her, "As usual, Wayne got it wrong. I didn't say he was a scurvy elephant; I said he was a disturbing element!"

Do people see you as a disturbing element? They did Jesus! His enemies said, "He stirs up the people..." (Lk 23:5). Imagine that: The Prince of Peace was also the Great Disturber!

Daniel refused to eat the King's meat or bow to his gods, because he'd been sent to bring change, not build a consensus. When we compromise what is right to gain acceptance with people, we forfeit it with God. We all have a choice to make! Each of us are where we are today for a reason. The question each of us need to answer is: Am I willing to become a disturbing element in order to fulfil God's purpose for putting me where I am?

Joseph Bayly writes,
Lord of reality, make me real, not plastic. I don't want to keep a prayer list, I want to pray. I don't want to agonize to find Your will, I want to obey what I already know. I don't want to explain the difference between eros, philos, and agape. I just want to love. I don't want to tell it like it is, I want to be like You want it.

Make that your prayer today too. Then go be a "scurvy elephant"!

(c)2004
Timothy L. Hudson,
UGA Christian Campus Fellowship

No comments: