Monday, June 18, 2007

Finding Fulfillment in Work

Christian Working Woman Transcript

Monday, June 18, 2007 - Finding Fulfillment in Work

I recently read a verse in Proverbs 20 that baffled me for a while. The 25th verse says "A man's steps are directed by the Lord. How then can anyone understand his own way?" But I think I know what Solomon was trying to say to us.

Most of us spend lots of time trying to understand our own way. What will I do about this? Where will I go? What's my next move? What if this happens or that falls through? We have this desire to know exactly what the future holds, and to make certain it's the way we want it to be.

But when we are directed by the Lord, we cannot know our own way. It's one step at a time. We make the immediate move God has placed in front of us, and then He shows us the next move.

Why does God operate that way? It seems almost cruel, doesn't it? Wouldn't it be better if he said, "Now, Mary, here's my exact plan for the rest of your life." That's what we'd like—and of course, we'd like that strategic plan to be to our liking and our choosing!

But when our steps are directed by the Lord, He gives them to us one at a time because:

1. It teaches us to walk by faith and not by sight. We have to trust God. And then we become strong in our faith, and that pleases God. Without faith it's impossible to please God.

2. If God showed us our whole path, we'd try to change it and manipulate it. But God knows what is best, even if we can't see it.

3. If we saw every step ahead in advance, we'd rebel at some of them. They would frighten us; they would look too difficult. But when God directs us one at a time, we learn little by little that if we're following Him, He'll be with us and give us the strength and grace we need. He never g­ives us that strength ahead of time, but it's there when we need it.

I don't know what my way holds. I have goals and objectives that I'm working toward by faith. But God is ordering my steps. They may turn at any time in an unexpected direction. That's His prerogative because I'm His child and I've chosen to walk His path, not mine. But I don't have to know what tomorrow will bring. All I need is to know that I took the right step today, He's with me, and whatever the step is tomorrow, He'll be with me then.

I encourage you to let God direct your steps one at a time. It's a whole lot better than trying to understand your own way. You never can, you know, no matter how much you try.

No comments: