Thursday, January 25, 2007

Dwell

Our prayer verse for this week from Ephesians 3:16-17a:

I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith.


I'm thinking today about the purpose of this "strengthen[ing] ... with power" which is so that "Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith". Dwell means "to live or stay as a permanent resident". Dwell seems similar to me to the concept of abiding in John. I am struck by the idea that this happens by faith and that we need God's strength for this dwelling to take place. So, continuing in this thought I wonder what is it that I need to believe (faith) for this dwelling to take place. The answer could be from verse 18 "may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ". Again we see "power" and it is power to grasp the magnitude of the love of Christ. We need to know the love of Christ. Then we will choose to abide. But it is not just our will or determination for this to happen. We need God's power.

No comments: