Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Always On Mission

Wade Hodges on "Why We Love Jack Bauer" (January 19, 2006)

"I’ve never missed an episode of “24.”

From the very first season, I’ve been a fan of Jack Bauer.

After the gut-wrenching four hour premiere earlier this week I’ve been meditating on exactly what it is that makes Jack Bauer so compelling to me and to so many of my friends. Especially surprising to me is how many pastors and paid minister-types are Jackaholics. What’s the attraction? Here’s what I’ve come up with so far.

1. Jack Bauer is always on mission. He has a purpose. He knows what it is and he let’s NOTHING get in his way.

2. Every minute of Jack’s life matters. Everything he does connects to a larger story. Jack can’t afford to waste even a minute of his day. His time is too important.

3. Jack is willing to make and has repeatedly made sacrifices for the mission. Jack’s therapist should be a millionaire by now after having helped him work through what can only be described as PTSD on steroids. Such is the cost of saving the world.

4. Jack gets to say and do things that in the deepest part of hearts we wish we could say and do. Jack’s best line from the premiere: The only reason you’re still conscious is because I don’t want to carry you. What preacher/pastor hasn’t wanted to say that at an elders/board meeting at one time or another?"


No comments: