Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Grace -- Yes

Elizabeth Elliot Devotional

Title: Immunity--No. Grace--Yes.

Someone asked last week, "When Jim died was your
walk with the Lord close enough that His love and
comfort and presence were sufficient at all
times--or did grief and sorrow at times overtake
and overwhelm you?"

My answer is yes to both questions. It is not an
either-or matter. The psalmist, overwhelmed,
prayed, "Lead me to the Rock that is higher than
I" (Ps 61:2 AV).

Paul, plagued by a thorn, besought the Lord three
times to remove it.

Jesus, "horror-stricken and desperately
depressed," prayed "O My Father--if it be
possible..." (Mk 14:34,36).

Of none of these--the psalmist, the apostle, the
Lord--could it be said that his walk with God was
not close enough. There was human suffering and
divine sufficiency. This is the story of our
life. The promise is "My grace is sufficient" (2
Cor 12:9 AV), not "My grace will abolish your
thorns."

No comments: