Monday, February 13, 2006

Is Your Life Out of Balance?

Monday, February 13, 2006

Have you ever tried to take more out of your bank account than you put in? Well, if so, you know the meaning of the term "overdrawn." You know, lots of us are living emotionally, physically and spiritually in the overdrawn mode. We're out of balance in our lives, because we don't deposit enough in our emotional, spiritual and physical accounts to cover the checks we draw on them. When that happens, we live overdrawn, out-of-balance lives, fighting fatigue, discouragement, and depression.

This type of out-of-balance living is often because we don't deposit the right things in our accounts, and at other times it's because we spend our energy very foolishly. I would suggest that we need to know what it is that feeds energy and strength to us and make certain we're pouring into our lives the right resources and the right amount. Then we have to determine what uses our resources and drains our strength, so that we can balance the two.

This calls for an accounting procedure, and that's something we need to do regularly. You have to do some personal balancing and accounting with your checking account to keep it in good order. Well, the same is true of your emotional, spiritual and physical accounts.

Right now stop and ask yourself: Am I spending more from my spiritual, emotional and physical account than I put in? Frankly, I've really had to face this problem lately, and that's why I decided to talk about it this week. It's a continual challenge for me to learn that I cannot be all things to all people and I must take time to replenish the accounts if I expect to be able to keep spending.

Now that doesn't mean that I'm never tired, never feel stressed or rushed or stretched, but it does mean that if I'm living in that out-of-balance mode all the time, something's wrong. My priorities are confused, or my discipline has broken down, or my calendar is too full, or I don't know how to stop–or some combination of all of the above.

I'm going to try to give you some help in this process of bringing your emotional, physical and spiritual accounts into balance. And I do this mostly because I need to re-learn this. Wouldn't it be nice if we only had to learn our lessons once! But I find that often I'm have to go through re-training, to remember what God has taught me previously. This certainly is one of those areas where I frequently and easily get sidetracked, and my accounts get out of balance.


Christian Working Woman Transcript

No comments: