Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The One Who Is Peace

Christine Wyrtzen post:  PEACE! A CHOICE TO BELIEVE THE CHRIST-CHILD

The steadfast of mind Thou wilt keep in perfect peace, because he trusts in Thee.  Isaiah 26:3

        I realize today how many times I've had things backwards.  When my mind was in turmoil, I prayed for peace.  When I was plagued with distrust, I prayed for peace.  When I felt God was unfair, I prayed for peace.  I didn't get the results I wanted and now I know why.

        Jesus is my peace. Peace lay in a manger. So, in preparation for Christmas, I've been studying the subject of peace and under what conditions God promises it.  This verse from Isaiah seems to sum it up best.  Those who are steadfast in their mind, who choose to trust Jesus, will be kept in perfect peace.  If I do not have peace, it is because my mind has taken a detour to a place of dis-trust.  I have allowed my interpretation of circumstances to rule my mind, and subsequently, rule my emotions.  My beliefs are the problem, not God's inability to bring peace.

        Jesus grew to say many things. He was the WORD who had always spoken clearly. My choice to dis-believe Him is what erodes my peaceful state.  I must be intentionally steadfast to trust Him implicitly, despite the mounting evidence against Him and despite a heart that often tells me that it's suicide to trust.  He is God and He is always good, always faithful, always loving, always dependable.  Upon those truths my life rests.  Period.

        On a more practical note, how can I practice being steadfast so that I might have peace - now?  Here's a personal example.

        I once prayed for over ten years for God's intervention in a certain area of my life.  For a decade, I saw no evidence of His provision.  I often despaired.  But eventually, I decided to be steadfast and declare the following:  "You, Lord, answer prayer.  Just because I can't see Your provision doesn't mean You're not active in providing it.  I trust You."  Upon such a declaration of absolute trust, peace followed. So did God's deliverance.

        In my early walk with Christ, I prayed for peace as though it were all up to God.  I took no personal responsibility for it on my end.  I let my mind wander where it wanted and my thoughts were often a cesspool of doubts and confusion.  Gaining peace of mind is always a two way street.  If I do my part, God's promise of peace will engage.  If I really worship the One in the cradle, the One who is 'peace', then I prove it when I live by every word that comes out of His mouth.

I've learned my lesson.  I won't pray for peace until I choose to harness my thoughts and trust you no matter what. Amen
 

No comments: