Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Getting a Jump on the Day

Mark Batterson post:  Getting Up When It’s Still Dark Out


I’m not a natural morning person, but I love getting a jump on the day by getting up when it’s still dark out.

I’ve learned that if I’m going to write a book, I’ve got to get up when it’s dark.  I’ve learned that if I’m going to prioritize my relationship with the Lord, I’ve got to get up when it’s dark.  I’ve learned that if I’m going to get everything done, I’ve got to get up when it’s dark.

You want to catch up or get ahead? Get up when it’s still dark out.  You want to see your dream become reality despite holding down a day job?  Get up when it’s still dark out.  You want more of God’s power, more of God’s presence?  Get up when it’s still dark out.

Do I ever sleep in? Of course! Do I always get up while it’s still dark out?  No.  But during a writing season there is no other way!

Here’s what originally inspired me to get up while it’s still dark out.  I read a biography of DL Moody.  Moody said he felt a twinge of guilt if he heard a blacksmith hammering before he was up praying. I don’t know why, but that had a profound impact on me. I think of it often.  I also had a father-in-law, Bob Schmidgall, who set the standard when it came to early morning prayer!

No comments: