Friday, February 04, 2011

Being Real

Excerpt from Ed Stetzer post:  Thurs is for Thinkers: Kevin Smith on Being "Real"


...

In Psalms 34:1, David said, "I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth." This is one of my favorite scriptures (if favorites are allowed). Our congregation had a glorious time praising the Lord on the Sunday after my father's death. So many members were glad to see me and some were surprised. For some reason, some Christians think a time of grief is a time to stay away from the gathered congregation. Have we created that feeling? Is the congregation a safe place to grieve or will you mess up the happy mood? I told them that at my greatest time of pain I would prefer to be in the midst of God's people - singing His praises and hearing His Word (by God's rich grace we had a previously scheduled guest preacher). Even through pain and tears, the singing was strengthening, the preaching was encouraging, and the fellowship was priceless. I feel honored to have had a "real" moment as the leader of a flock of God's sheep. Hey, pastor, leader, or disciple-maker, don't hesitate to be real about life's ups-and-downs, about pain in your life, and about the joy in Christ which passeth all understanding.

No comments: