Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Wells vs. Springs

Adam preached Sunday from John 4: 1-42. As I listened to the familiar story of the woman at the well I was struck by how God wants to give us things that are beyond our imagination or wildest dreams. I think it is illustrated by the difference between a well and a spring. The woman wanted to get water without trips to the well, but Jesus wanted to give her something she had never seen before that is so much better than a well.

11The woman said to him, "Sir, you have nothing to draw water with, and the well is deep. Where do you get that living water? 12 Are you greater than our father Jacob? He gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did his sons and his livestock." 13Jesus said to her, "Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, 14but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." 15The woman said to him, "Sir, give me this water, so that I will not be thirsty or have to come here to draw water." [John 4]

The sad thing is that we have a tendency to not only prefer wells rather than springs but we also want to dig the well, even when it is not really "working for us".

12Be appalled, O heavens, at this;
be shocked, be utterly desolate,

declares the LORD, 13for my people have committed two evils: they have forsaken me,
the fountain of living waters,
and hewed out cisterns for themselves,
broken cisterns that can hold no water. [Jeremiah 2]


If you have a well you have to go back every day to get water. Springs just flow and they are "fresh" water. That's what God wants to give us:

37 On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. 38Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, 'Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'" [John 7]

No comments: