Thursday, August 14, 2008

Feel Good Movement

The Christian Working Woman Transcript

Thursday, August 14, 2008 - The Feel Good Movement


Not long ago a Newsweek Magazine front cover said, "The Curse of Self-Esteem; What's Wrong With the Feel-Good Movement." What's happening is that people who've trusted in this feel-good-about-yourself philosophy are finding it just doesn't work. That's because it's full of errors.

The feel-good movement tells us that if we feel good about ourselves, we'll do good things and be more successful. To use their terminology, we'll realize our full potential.

Do you remember when Jesus sent 72 disciples out to all parts of the country to spread the word about his coming? He gave them power to heal and cast out demons, and they had great success. They came back and reported to Jesus, Look what we have done." And Jesus responded, "Do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven (Luke 10:20).

Jesus told them not to feel good about what they had done, but to feel good about what he had done for them. We should rejoice because we are so valuable to God, he sent Jesus to die for us and through faith in Jesus, we can know that our names are written in the Lamb's Book of Life. Get excited over that, rather than trying to feel good about yourself.

Now, certainly Jesus taught us, through the parable of the talents, that we are going to be accountable to him for how we've used the resources and talents he's given us. Achieving, working hard, doing a lot with what God has given us–those are all biblical principles.

However, that will not lead me to realize my potential. Jeremiah 9:23-24 says: Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord...

Can you boast that you understand and know God? If you want to know your potential, get to know the God who created you; I mean, intimately know him through daily communication.

Feel good about myself and live up to my potential? No, rather feel good that I am a child of God, made new by faith in Jesus Christ, and empowered by the Spirit of God who lives within me to be transformed into the likeness of Jesus. That's my potential; that's what God intends for me to be. But never can I do that in my strength or by feeling good about myself. I do that by utter and complete reliance on the power of God within me, and by pursuing God with all my heart, mind and soul.

No comments: