Thursday, April 19, 2007

Down Days: Compasssion

Christian Working Woman Transcript

Thursday, April 19, 2007 - Dealing with Down Days


I saw that one reason I needed that down period was to teach me compassion. Just a couple of weeks earlier, after hearing a very convicting sermon in church, I had asked God to give me a heart that broke over what breaks His heart. And we read in Matthew 9:36 that Jesus' heart was broken when He saw people who were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.

How do we learn compassion? By walking in someone else's shoes. We're told that Jesus is touched with the feelings of our weaknesses because He was in all points tempted like we are. That continually comforts me, as I go to Jesus with my problems, knowing that He's walked this path before me and He knows how I feel. That's how we become compassionate people–by putting ourselves in other people's shoes and feeling what they feel.

As I struggled through those lifeless days, I thought to myself, "There are so many people who have these kind of days all the time. Remember how it feels, Mary. Remember how difficult it is to pull yourself out of it. Remember how bleak everything looks. Remember, so when others are harassed and helpless, you will be compassionate."

Have you had any down days lately? Maybe you're having some now. If so, let me say first of all that I understand. Yours may take a different form from mine, but the resulting pain is similar. And I can tell you that I feel for you–I care–I understand–because I've been there.

And then let me encourage you that God doesn't condemn you if you are His child. He hurts when you hurt, and He knows how you feel. He also can heal you. Just tell Him quite honestly how you feel, and then ask Him to show you exactly why you're going through the down period.

What do you need to learn? Is He trying to get your attention about a certain issue? Your lessons may be different from mine, but they're there. Don't give up until you find them. Then, like the Apostle Paul, you too will rejoice in your weakness as you see how His power is made perfect in you.

No comments: