Monday, September 25, 2006

The Master's Feet

The Master's Feet

2 Kings 20:6

"And I will add fifteen years to your life, and I will deliver you and this city from the hand of the king of Assyria;
and I will defend this city for My own sake and for My servant David's sake."

I have no idea who the Rev. James Harvey was, but as I was reading this week I came upon a quote by him.

The quote is probably at least 200 years old. It is one of the most profound statements I have seen in some time.

He wrote this in a letter to a friend just before he died. We can consider this ‘a dying ministers thoughts.’

"Were I to enjoy Hezekiah's grant, and have fifteen years added to my life, I would be much more frequent in my applications to the throne of grace: we sustain a mighty loss by reading so much, and praying so little. Were I to renew my studies, I would take my leave of those accomplished trifles, the historians, the orators, the poets of antiquity, and devote my attention to the Scriptures of Truth. I would sit with much great assiduity (diligence) at my Divine Master's feet, and desire to know nothing but Jesus Christ and him crucified. This wisdom, whose fruits are everlasting salvation after death, this I would explore through the spacious and delightful fields of the Old and New Testament."

The story of Hezekiah is found in several places in the Old Testament. The reference here is to his having 15 years added to his life in 2 Kings 20:1-11. We might reference verse six especially.

It is interesting that the emphasis is upon prayer and spending time with the Lord. He is saying that if he had it to do over again, that is where his focus would be. He puts the hammer to me because I love history and poetry. He says he would spend less time on these things and more time in God's Word. He would spend more time listening to Christ and seeking to sit at His feet. It makes a lot of sense to me. Maybe that means I am getting old, but the above quote sure is attractive.

Colonel Gardiner is one of the more renowned people of the faith. It is said of him that he devoted two hours every morning to reading the Word of God and prayer. He was ever determined that nothing should rob him of his time with the Lord. If his regiment had to march at six o'clock, he would rise at four. If they needed to march at four, he would rise at two. Such is the dedication of the follower of Christ.

Nothing shall rob the servant of Christ from his relationship with Christ. I know that such faithfulness is something that most of us, including me, can only shoot for, but that doesn't mean we should not still strive to focus on sitting at the Lord's feet and seeking to soak in all we can from the Master.

"Retire often from this vain world, from all its bubbles and empty shadows, and vain amusements, and converse with God alone; and seek effectually for that divine grace and comfort, the least drop of which is worth more than all the riches, gaiety, pleasures, and entertainment's of the whole world."
--Jonathan Edwards

 

Soli Deo Gloria

No comments: