Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Things of God

Scotty Smith:  A Prayer about Constantly Needing the Gospel

     He then began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and after three days rise again. He spoke plainly about this, and Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. But when Jesus turned and looked at his disciples, he rebuked Peter. “Get behind me, Satan!” he said. “You do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men.Mark 8:31-33

     Jesus, one of the many things I cherish about the Bible is the way it robs us of our penchant for hero worship. The Scriptures are so real and raw. Who but God would write a book documenting the foibles and failures of so many of his children? Who but God would chronicle the ways his chosen leaders limp along, and prove themselves to be in constant need of mercy and grace? Leaders like Peter who actually tried to keep you from the cross.
     Such honestly brings us encouragement and fuels our hope. It also gives us freedom to acknowledge that we need the gospel today just as much as the first day we believed it. This will be just as true tomorrow, and the next day and the next. Keep me convinced of this, Jesus, because I’m so much like Peter.
     It’s one thing for me to stress and stew about the ways this generation is distancing itself from the theology of your cross. But it’s quite another to see the subtle ways I try to keep you from the cross—attitudes and actions by which I deny the glory and wonder of your sacrifice for us. Jesus, deal with me as you dealt with Peter.
     When I mute my heart to the insult of grace, I deny your cross. When I think, even for one moment, that my obedience merits anything, I deny your cross. When I put others under the microscope and measure of performance-based living, I deny your cross. When I wallow in self-contempt and shame, I deny your cross. When I’d rather do penitent works than offer repentant faith, I deny your cross. When I begin to trust in your grace plus anything, I deny your cross
     Jesus, by the power of the gospel, help us to mind the things of God much more than the things of men. There will never be a day we will need the gospel more than this day. During Lent, may your cross grow bigger and bigger in our gaze, and may our boast in it grow louder and louder. You’re the only hero in the Bible. It’s all about you, all of it.  So very Amen, we pray, in your patient and persistent name.
  

No comments: