Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Only By Grace

Christine Wyrtzen Devotional

TOLERANT OR RIGID?

Is God the God of Jews only?  Is God not the God of Gentiles also?  Yes - since God is one who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith.  Romans 3:29-30

            The Jews believed that God was only their God.  That made them moral elitists, believing themselves to be better than anyone outside their race.
            The Gentiles believed that there were many gods.  That made them tolerant, encouraging an indulgence into all kinds of depravity.   Their numerous gods permitted wickedness and Greece was a cesspool. 
            Paul addressed the tension one faced when choosing whether or not he would align with the Jew or the Gentile.  Neither offered a righteous option.  One group was prideful and monotheistic.  The other was wicked and polytheistic.  How did God solve the dilemma between the two extremes?
            He sent His Son to die for all mankind; circumcised and uncircumcised.  Each needed to come through faith in Christ.  Each was unable to earn his salvation based on race and good works.  Paul made it clear that faith alone qualified a Jew and faith alone qualified a Gentile.
            Romans is cumbersome at times, I'll admit.  Studying it is a workout and many mornings I face a writing crisis!  God is helping me as I ask Him each day, "Please show me what difference this issue makes in my relationship with You!"  All truth must connect with my heart.
            So, why do these verses matter?  Because without this solid rudder, I will lose my way.  Let's face it.  There are denominations which boast in being right.  They believe they have a corner on truth and no one outside their box could possibly be saved.  They are like the Jews; elitist and exclusionary.
            We are also surrounded by unbelievers who are moral relativists.  They pride themselves in being tolerant.  They are very willing to let us talk about our faith but we better not tell them what to believe.  As soon as we do, we're seen as prideful and judgmental.
            I stand in the truth of Paul's writing today that all people must come to the cross empty handed.  Evangelicals, Charismatics, Mormons, Catholics, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus.  We must come to God one way ~ through faith in Christ ~ plus nothing.  I do not have any advantage over another man or woman.  I must be firm but humble when sharing this truth with others.  I must not make them feel excluded not can I be tolerant for tolerance sake.  Jesus is not discriminating.  He calls all sinners to Himself and what each of us does with His invitation, Jew or Gentile, determines where we will spend eternity.

 If I'm your child, it's only because of Your grace.  If someone else is not yet your child, I invite them with urgency, conviction and humility.  Amen

No comments: