Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Re-Affirm

Christine Wyrtzen Devotional:  CONFIRMING AN OATH

I have sworn an oath and confirmed it, to keep your righteous rules.  Psalm 119:106

When promises are made in the context of love, they are not usually uttered just one time.  When time and trials test them, reassurance is welcomed.  It comforts and it strengthens love and respect. 

An elderly husband says to a wife with serious health concerns, "I told you that I would be here in sickness and health.  I'm not going anywhere."  He promised it once many years ago but the memory of it is dim.  His confirmation is timely and sinks deeply into her frightened spirit.

God confirms His many promises to me with the whispers of His Spirit in scripture, with circumstantial breakthroughs, and through the encouragement of others in His family.  But it never occurred to me until this morning that it is probably meaningful for Him to hear me confirm the vows I have made to Him.  When time and testing could threaten my resolve, I take stock, review my oaths, and declare once again my love and commitment to love and serve Him.

Perhaps as I do, He stops what He's doing, closes His eyes and sighs with pleasure.  Some might say this humanizes Him to the point of over-sentimentality, but the heart of God is a longing One.  His eyes search from one end of the world to the other to find one whose heart is completely His.  His delight in the search and in the finding seems to me to be implied.

To love, to serve, to obey, to treasure you above all others is my solemn vow.  I re-affirm it this day.  Amen

No comments: