Friday, November 20, 2009

His Grace

Christine Wyrtzen devotional

HOW OFTEN I FORFEIT FAVOR

I entreat your favor with all my heart; be gracious to me according to your promise.  Psalm 119:58

There are many who feel that God's favor is owed to them.  Perhaps this describes the majority of God's creation.  They believe that they do more good than bad.  Because of how that set of scales reads, they believe that God owes them pleasure and ease.

This psalmist, whoever he is, begs for God's favor.  He knows that even though He follows God, loves the Torah, and attempts to live a life that honors God, he does plenty of things every day to forfeit God's favor.  On this day, He asks God to consider pouring out His favor once again on his life.

No matter how sincere my heart was yesterday to honor Christ through my life, I failed to do it perfectly.  My sin grieved God and without His grace and mercy, there were grounds for God to withdraw the warmth of His smile from my shoulders.  He didn't - because of Christ.  He didn't - because of His Son's blood sacrifice.

Entitlement is a nasty spiritual disease.  It's unbecoming to children here on earth who live with their hand out.  How many parents have sacrificed for their son or daughter only to see their love spurned with indignant demand.  "Ungrateful!", that parent mutters under their breath in disappointment.

Entitlement is even more profound when God's children hold out their hand, feel entitled to the sacrifice Jesus made and the blessings of their inheritance in Christ, and give no thought to the graciousness of God who gives it all despite their unworthiness.  Oh, may my life be marked with humility and gratitude.  Anything good that He gives me is due to His grace, not my goodness. 

When I see signs of Your favor, I take in the gift with prayers of thanksgiving.  Forgive me for when I've been an ungrateful child.  Amen

No comments: