Thursday, May 21, 2009

Seated

Post by Mark Batterson

Jesus isn't hanging on a cross. Jesus is seated on a throne.

Just thought I'd share a thought from yesterday's message titled God is Incomparable. If I were to ask you to think of Jesus, what image comes to mind? I have a couple images that immediately pop into my mind. One is a painting of Jesus with a lamb draped around His neck. Another is a painting of Revelation 3:20 with Jesus standing outside a door poised to knock. Those images come to mind because my grandparents had them hanging in their home when I was a young child.

For most people, I'm guessing the dominant image is Jesus hanging on a cross. And there is no question that the cross is the crux of our faith. That is where the love of God was painted in blood red. And it is a sacred image. But having said that let me say this. Jesus isn't hanging on a cross. Jesus is seated on a throne. And one of the reasons we walk in weakness is because we cannot imagine the authority of Christ and the authority that is ours in Christ. We cannot imagine because we don't have a mental image. I think Ephesians 1 is the solution to that problem. Paul paints an amazing portrait of Jesus on the throne.

He is seated at the right hand of God in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come. And God placed all things under his feet.


No comments: