Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Meeting Jesus Followers

Excerpt from Dan Kimball post Never Got a Haircut During a Worship Gathering Before

...

I then did something only at the 7 PM gathering that I have never done before. I got my haircut in the sanctuary during the worship gathering. What led up to that, was that it started with my friendship with Angie. Angie is not part of any church and has been cutting my hair for 3 years. We have had great talks about faith and life over the years - in addition to a lot of talks about music. But she never has desired to come to one of our gatherings (or any church gatherings). So in a conversation I had recently, we sort were kidding and said it would take her cutting my hair in our worship gathering to get her to be there. When I then asked her, if she really would do that, she said she would. So,I figured that if it takes having my hair cut in the worship gathering for her to come - then so be it.

I desperately have wanted Angie to see and experience the whole vibe of our church, the coffeehouse, the art, the music. Most of all I wanted her to be amongst the people of our church community and meet people who are followers of Jesus, but maybe not like she would imagine. So in the front corner we set up a little chair and area for her to set up her barber tools. She even brought a bib-thing that I wear normally at her salon. It wasn't in direct view of everyone, but in the corner. But as people were coming in and as the music started Angie was there cutting my hair. She was so cool about it, and as things were happening in the gathering I would explain them to her. I explained what communion was as we were going to be taking communion that night as she didn't know what that meant. When it was time for the message part,I got up and then brought up Angie on the stage.


I shared with everyone why she is here and what led to her cutting my hair in the gathering. She was Ok with me sharing that as it was quite fun actually telling the story of it. I then asked Angie a couple of questions and she shared how she isn't as judging of Christians as she was before we met and then told everyone that she really liked being there that night. I thanked her and it was cool as people gave her a really strong applause and you could tell she had fun being there.

After we went up to my office and talked more about the whole experience, and she finished cutting my hair up there. And had a good discussion. We then walked around the building and she got to see the coffeehouse packed as a band was playing there after the gathering. Although I had explained to her about our church, she said she had no idea it was going to be like it was. It's interesting as I was walking around and introducing her to people I was so proud of the people of our church. I know "proud" is a weird word to use, but not sure what else to call it. But it was great getting to introduce her to people and for her to see all that was happening.

...

No comments: