Monday, November 17, 2008

Gifts

Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them ...
Rom 12:6a

I was listening to an orchestra the other day and watching the performance of the individual members and it occurred to me that if I were the trumpet player for a particular song, and for some reason I couldn't hear the other instruments, I would probably be pretty discouraged and think that my trumpet playing was not very worthwhile. I noticed in this one particular song the trumpet players were silent for most of the song and then would play for a few seconds and then silent for another long period and then play again for a short period. The trumpets made a beautiful combination of sounds when combined with the other instruments and was very enjoyable.

It may be that in playing the instrument God has gifted you to play you are not hearing the other instruments and therefore could come to believe that your contribution is not worthwhile or meaningful. I encourage you to not be discouraged. I believe that God "hears" a beautiful combination of gifts glorifying Him as we use his gifting for the body.

No comments: