Thursday, October 16, 2008

Gospel

The Gospel Works post by Mark Batterson

I'm continuing to process the things that really impacted me at Catalyst. Several years ago I got tired of going to conferences, getting really inspired, and forgetting everything I heard within three days. I try to go back over my notes the next week. And I try to come up with one or two or three action points.

One of the speakers at Catalyst was Franklin Graham. Spitting image of his dad! So forthright. One thing he said really stuck me: "You don't have to help the gospel." He said, "The gospel works." Such a profound reminder.

I feel like all of us could do a better job of consistently communicating the simple gospel message. I'm thinking and rethinking how we help people cross the line of faith. As a dad, one of my roles is to engineer experiences that create memories. The end result is a defining moment.

In the same sense, as a pastor, I want to set up God encounters. I'm obviously not suggesting we can or try to man-u-facture anything. But I need to be more intentional about helping people create spiritual memories.

Just thinking out loud.

No comments: