Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Praying

The Christian Working Woman Transcript

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - Praying for the Election


I want to encourage us all to begin a forty-day prayer vigil for our upcoming election here in the U.S., beginning September 26. In fact, I have a 40-day prayer guide to send you to help you do that, if you will make that commitment.
In this guide is a prayer by our first president, George Washington, and it is amazing to read his prayer. Let me quote parts of it for you:
“O eternal and everlasting God,...increase my faith in the sweet promises of the gospel. . . teach me how to live in thy fear, labor in thy service, and ever to run in the ways of thy commandments. Make me always watchful over my heart, that neither the terrors of conscience, the loathing of holy duties, the love of sin, nor an unwillingness to depart this life, may cast me into a spiritual slumber, but daily frame me more and more into the likeness of thy son, Jesus Christ...”

Did you have any idea that our first President had this kind of faith and trust in God? But in reading this prayer, I am again reminded of how far we have strayed from the faith of our founding fathers and how quickly we are moving toward a secular society. My friends, we desperately need some people in our government who have this kind of commitment to God and are willing to take a stand against evil and for integrity and morality in our country.

This is a battle won on our knees, not in the press, not in demonstrations or political maneuverings. Psalm 75:7 says:
It is God who judges; he brings one down, he exalts another.

We may think that we the people hold the future of our country in our hands, but our God is sovereign. That means he is totally in control, and therefore, he will bring some candidates down and he will exalt others. And it’s not always the candidate that we vote for! But God is still sovereign.

Let us pray for his will to be done in this election, and for us, as God’s people, to remain steadfast to the truths of Scripture.

No comments: