Friday, May 11, 2007

Setting Biblical Priorities

Christian Working Woman Transcript

Friday, May 11, 2007 - Setting Biblical Principles

Our lives are full of choices, big ones and small ones. Which job will I take? What organizations should I join? Do I go shopping or clean the house? Is it more important to write this report or answer the mail? And the way we make these myriad of choices throughout our lives is determined by our priorities–what's important to us and what isn't so important.

Let me suggest that we take the time to write down the priorities by which we want our choices to be guided. If you have biblical priorities clearly established in your mind, then you'll be prepared to make good choices and thereby spend your time and energy in meaningful ways.

Here are some questions to ask yourself, as you start to define your lifetime priorities:

1. What are the biblical guidelines that must govern my priorities?

We've mentioned several already. Our priorities should be determined by what will bring the most glory and honor to Christ. We should seriously consider what has eternal value and what is simply temporal. The Word of God will abide forever. People will last forever. Faith, hope and love will abide forever, as we read in 1 Corinthians 13. Therefore, the highest priority should be given to activities which will elevate and enhance these things in our life.

2. What choices do I have?

List the areas where you have choices to make. For instance, you can to some degree choose the job you take, the organizations you belong to, the extra-curricular activities of your life. I remember choosing a job once that was attractive to me and advanced my career, but it took me away from my young daughter far too much. I had other options. I made a poor choice. My priorities were not in good shape.

3. Am I willing to give God control of my priorities and put necessary disciplines into my life?

So often we hand God our pre-planned agenda and ask Him to bless it. God is looking for people who give Him a blank piece of paper, and ask Him to write His agenda for them. Setting biblical priorities means we may have to cross some good things off our list for things that are better.

When we have a good understanding of what's important to God, then we'll be able to make the right choices as to our priorities.


No comments: