Tuesday, June 01, 2010

In Us

Mark Batterson post: Great Commandment vs. Great Commission

I can't quantify this, but I think there are lots of churches that focus on the Great Commission more than the Great Commandment. And I'm all for the Great Commission. But I'm more concerned about the Great Commandment, which is one reason I wrote Primal.

Here's my logic: if you take care of the Great Commandment then the Great Commission will take care of itself. How? Well, you can't love God heart, soul, mind, and strength and not be sold out to the mission he's called you to. But if you're missional without the relational component, it won't sustain itself. I'm concerned that some of us are more missional than relational and it actually short-circuits what God wants to do in us and through. Why? Precisely because we're more focused on what God wants to do thru us than in us. It's the difference between ministering for and ministering to the Lord.

Sure hope that makes sense. In a nutshell: we've got to be great at the Great Commandment. 

No comments: