Friday, January 01, 2010

Hope in Him

Christine Wyrtzen Devotional: HOPE IS SECURE

My soul longs for your salvation; I hope in your word.  Psalm 119:81

The hope of a new year lies in expanse before us today.  Something not yet unresolved may be resolved within the confines of this next calendar year.

Right now, someone is waiting to get well.  Someone else is waiting for a job.  Someone is waiting for inner peace.  Someone is waiting for intervention.  Someone is waiting for a definitive diagnosis.  Someone is waiting for deliverance out of crushing circumstances.  Someone is waiting for the fulfillment of a Word.

I can never know if the salvation I seek is of the immediate kind, the kind that will come in the next twelve months, or is of a distant kind.  The prophets waited on a word and it stretched their eyes to the max.  Abraham believed but he never got to see "the Word become flesh."  Yet, the hope of it sustained him.

All my hope lies in God.   The knowledge of salvation, now or in the future, sustains and comforts me.  I do know this ~ I will live to see His Word fulfilled over the next fifty two weeks.  My hope is well placed because His promises are solid.  In whatever ways my faith is stretched, in whatever ways salvation waits on some distant horizon, God will give me grace to wait.  He will fill my heart with the Word of promise and with the hope that comes with His Word.  I don't need to see it come true today to know joy.  I just need to know that it will come true.

Creation groans for the revealing of the sons of God.  In the waiting, His Word pulsates in my spirit with the kiss of promise.

Your Word simmers beneath the surface of my heart. Ever warm, I feel its hope.  Amen

No comments: